Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sewing Outfits & My Fear of Patterns

I made a couple of outfits for the 10 year old before our Disney trip.  Here's the deal though, I'm terrified of patterns.  There's lots of tiny print, and foreign words, and little points, and all sorts of things I don't understand about them.  So, I just wing it.  That doesn't turn out too well in the end.  The above yellow skirt didn't hold up very well in the wash (apparently I don't know how to hem properly).  And the below white top I completely screwed up (it was supposed to have an elastic top...at some point I sewed too much over the elastic and it's REALLY tight now, haha) - it will make it's future debut as a bag :O). . .
The pink top and the green skirt both turned out great, AND washed up well.  I guess I should go take a sewing class and learn how to do it. . .but, that probably won't happen anytime soon!  I think I'll stick to what I know :O).

Thank goodness my momma gave me all this scrap material to play with.

3 comments:

Trina said...

That is so funny! You are just like me! I have never done a pattern because of the same reason...I am intimidated! And for that reason, I have lots of failures! Oh well, that is how you learn I guess!

Ruth H. said...

I'm not a fan of patterns, either. It just takes SO LONG to cut everything out, and lay it out, and cut it out again and if you have a pattern, that usually means there is something tricky to go with it like a zipper. So....I'm a big fan of anything I can make without a pattern, too! I will say, though, I've probably had more sewing fiascos with patterns than without patterns, and those are worse because you feel like an idiot instead of a brave adventurer.

cre8ivesky said...

Patterns scare me too! Especially clothes- sewing clothes scares me in general! Looks like your outfits turned out great. And I agree- hand me down fabric from Mom is the best! :) I'd pretty much have a grocery sack full of fabric and that'd be all if not for my Mom!