Monday, March 21, 2011

Folded Flower Tutorial

To make the folded flower, start by using scraps of black felt that you have leftover from when your dear mother made your husband his Elf costume for Halloween....
Find round based items to trace.  If you only want one layer of petals then stick with one item.  For this particular flower I used 3 layers of petals...
Trace 4 circles of each size (I used a pencil for the pink and brown material, but needed the chalk for the black)...
Cut out the circles...
Take your largest circle and fold it in half...
Then fold in half again...
So that you have a triangle type shape...
Put a small dab of hot glue on the inside edge...
Then press the edge together...
Take one of the four smallest circles that you cut (or cut a small circle if only doing one layer).  Poke a hole through the center (I used a pencil for the pink and brown flower, and a nail for this one)...
Glue your first triangle to the small circle leaving the small hole visible...
Continue with the rest of your large circles.  At this point you can slip your fastener through or repeat the steps with your remaining circles making layers.  I offset each layer...
I used this little black fastener...
Poke it through the small hole you made.  Squish the flower down as tight as you can and press out the fastener on the back side...
My flower was so fluffy with using felt that the cute little fastener was swallowed up...
At this point you can turn this baby into a broach, glue it to a frame, or - in our case - glue a gator clip to it...
And then grab your daughter as soon as she walks through the door from dance and beg her to model for your tutorial... 
Most all materials work great, just make sure to have some sort of felt on hand, or other sturdy item you can cut into a circle to glue your triangles to....I would think a small cardboard circle would work just as well.


For a full list of parties I link to click HERE!

11 comments:

Lolly Jane said...

that turned out so easy! i'm going to make a few this week with my leftover felt... wishing my husband had an Elf costume- ha! awesome!!

ps- thanks SO much for linking up w/ us :)

Shantelle said...

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE your blog??? I'm checking it everyday and you are motivating me to be more crafty! I just finished my first folded flower and I can't believe how easy it was. Thanks for the detailed instructions with pictures! (Those of us who are craft challenged need the details.)

Maren said...

Wow that is simple I think I can actually do it.

Anonymous said...

Your flower is so cute! I love how fluffy it is!

Darcie said...

I am so making these. I love your new blog... you are so CRAFTY!!

I am in YW's now over the Mia Maids and I think they would LOVE to learn to make these, thanks for sharing!!!

Hope you and your family are doing WONDERFUL!!

Anonymous said...

So cute!!! Thanks for the tutorial!!!

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet barette! Thanks for linking up!

Tasha said...

Awesome tutorial!! Awesome elf costume too! lol! Thanks so much for linking up to Try it Tuesday at DotDotDot!!! I love those felt flowers!!
Have a happy Monday!
Tasha

Maranda said...

These are dang cute!! Thanks for sharing Aly!

Love all the decor you've done too and that twirly skirt is adorable. I want to do stuff like that for my girl.

Tamie said...

so, so, so, so cute!
i have nothing girlie in my house! (mom to 3 boys) and i have to girlie up myself....i will be making this flower for sure (AND for ME! :))
linking from creative crate!

Bliss said...

Soo Cute1 i'm always looking for new flowers to do for my line