Saturday, March 5, 2011

Thrifty Mantel Makeover & Tutorial

I've been wanting to dress up our front living room for awhile now.  We originally had kind of a country outdoors theme going on.  I've spent the last two months on bed rest with a bad back.  When I saw this cute wreath over at The Little Brown House I knew it was something I could do from bed!  My sweet mom picked the things up from the store that I needed to get it started. 

Coffee filters...
They ended up being the flat kind instead of the giant cupcake paper kind...I was worried about that, but LOVE the way it turned out!
Start by opening up the filter...
Then fold one side in towards the other...
Fold the bottom and push a straight pin through it, then push it into a styrofoam wreath...
Build your rows so that you aren't able to see any of the white styrofoam...
The first day that I was able to get up I quickly gathered supplies to paint my ugly gold frame.  It is and old frame that I had in our junk pile.  It is made out of plastic and painted a cheesy pretend gold...
It had a mirror in it, I had no clue this print was behind it...
I primed it with Krylon white primer, then I spray painted it with Krylon glossy black.  I hung the wreath with a satin white ribbon...that I don't actually like.  I'm planning to change that out...
Not too bad for the price! 

For a full list of parties I link to click HERE!

11 comments:

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

I LOVE your wreath ALY! You're totally going to be hosting our next craft night for RS. A thick striped tan and black ribbon would look fabulous with the mirror and wreath.

I've actually seen this wreath done with old pages from a book and even old sheet music.

Tasha said...

It looks gorgeous! I have never seen the flat coffee filters! I love that look better than the regular filters!! I will have to do this!! Thanks for the tutorial!
Tasha
Ps-I am your newest follower!
(I have a link party every Tuesday and I'd love it if you stopped by!)
www.dotdotdotthis.blogspot.com

Tasha said...

It looks gorgeous! I have never seen the flat coffee filters! I love that look better than the regular filters!! I will have to do this!! Thanks for the tutorial!
Tasha
Ps-I am your newest follower!
(I have a link party every Tuesday and I'd love it if you stopped by!)
www.dotdotdotthis.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love how full and fluffy it looks, gorgeous! Hope your back is feeling better, and thanks for linking up!

Tasha said...

Hey Aly! Thanks so much for linking up to Try it Tuesday! It made my day!
I will be featuring this today!!
Have a happy Monday!
Tasha

Thelittlebrownhouse.us said...

You did a great job!! Love it with the flat filters - I am going to try that! Thanks so much for the link-back:)

Unknown said...

Wow! That turned out so pretty!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Aly,
I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Check the link below for the details.

http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/03/versatile-blogger-award.html

Love your site!
:)rachel

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

This is really cool! Awesome idea! Stopping over from
sun scholars1

Sommer said...

This is a FANTASTIC project. Great idea! I would be delighted if you would link this to my VIP party today! http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/vip-party-6.html

Cheers!
Sommer

petitehermine said...

This is a great project! Thanks for linking up on Sunday! Join me again this week! :)