Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Twirly Play Skirt - Tutorial

This is a more basic version of the Twirly Tulle skirts that I've been making.  This was completely made from scraps my mom gave me!  I always love FREE! 
It's loosely based on the Skirt Pattern that I posted the other day.  My daughter is 3, so the measurements I will give you are based off of her size. 

Start with one strip that is 36" in length and 7" wide (for the waist), and 2 strips that are 31" each and 9 inches wide (for the bottom).  As well as any trim that you would like to add to each...
I ironed and then hemmed the 2 - 31" strips...
Flipped them over and sewed on the trim...
Sewing both edges of it.  When I made the Twirly Tulle skirts I actually used Stitch Witchery for both the hem and the trim.  It causes the skirts to hang a bit more stiff, and I wanted this one to ruffle a bit more...
Then you sew both short ends together and iron the folds out flat...
With both short ends sewn together you will have a full loop...
Set the bottom pieces aside.  Sew the trim onto your waist piece in the desired place...
Then sew the short ends together forming your loop...
Go back to your big loop and ruffle the top edge to equal 35 1/2".  You will need it to ruffle to the size of your waist piece (you lose a 1/2" when you sew the ends together on the waist)...
Then you will sew a stitch that holds the ruffle in place...
Then with both pieces inside out, and right sides lined up inside, you will sew them together with a zig zag stitch....
So that when it is turned rightside out it will look like this...
Am I clear as mud to this point?!  Next, you will fold the top edge over by about 1/4" and iron it.  Then fold it over again to accommodate the space needed for your elastic and iron it again.  Then you are ready to stitch the casing for your elastic...
Leaving a 1-2" hole for the elastic to thread through (cut elastic 1" smaller than child's waist)...
Once you have it all the way through, overlap the elastic and sew it together...
Once you have the elastic sewn, then stitch up the hole, and stitch the elastic in a couple of places to prevent it from twisting.  Then you will have your finished skirt...
I, of course, had to make a flower to attach to it.  I cut my circles.  I'm getting pretty quick with these.  Now I just draw one circle and then fold the material for how many I want....
I was going to put it on a broach pin so that it could be removable, but it was too floppy.  I just stitched it on...
Remember the headband I made the other day out of this same material?  Well, she broke it in half, so I'll have to make another one :O)...


Click HERE for a full list of parties I link to!

9 comments:

Trina said...

This is super cute! You have come up with such cute skirts! You are so talented!

Alison @ mommadidit.blogspot.com said...

So cute! I love your girls' Easter outfits, too.

DIYbyDesign said...

Really that's just too cute. Thanks for linking up to my Swing into Spring party.

Jayma Malme said...

Adorable! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I'm also a newbie sewer, but long-time crafter :)

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

That is just delightful. Love the giant ric rac. Visiting from Show and Tell at Blue Cricket.
~Kimberlee
{$15 Amazon GC Giveaway} 

Unknown said...

simply love this simple skirt. your colors are poppin' .)

Stop by and link up at my 2nd ed. Make and Share Friday! I'd love to have you!

~ Christy

Tasha said...

Super cute and GREAT tutorial! My girls would LOVE these!! Thanks so much for linking up to Try it Tuesday! I will be featuring this today! Have a Happy Monday!
Tasha
PS-Make sure you grab a new feature button if ya want!

Little Boutique said...

HELP!!! I would love to make this or something similar for my 18m twin girls. could anyone give me any tips on how I would calculate/determine how wide the fabric should be.

-Carly

Becky J. said...

You have been featured on a +30 little girls skirt round up- thanks for your great tutorial! http://www.patchworkposse.com/2013/07/30-elastic-waist-skirt-tutorials-little-girl-summer-skirts/