Friday, May 20, 2011

Lego Cake & Cupcake Stand Fail

My adorable little son had a birthday earlier this year.  We thought we had a plan for his cake & theme, but the night before he changed his mind.  Not really the best or most effective way to go about planning a party, but it all worked out.  I was in disbelief that NONE of the party stores OR Wal-Mart carried Lego themed party stuff!  Do they not know how many little boys ABSOLUTELY LIVE FOR LEGOS?! 

Anyways, being that it was the night before his party, I decided to make a bright colored cupcake stand that somewhat resembled traditional Lego colors.  The only problem is that for some reason my E-600 didn't set up well on one of the joints, and it fell apart on the way to the farm that we had his party at.  I had used the dollar store glass candle sticks and sprayed them white, I wondered if maybe the spray paint mixed wrong with the glue and didn't allow it to set. . .

I separated them and it all worked out, just not the way I pictured in my head. . .

The night before (when he changed his mind), he came up with an elaborate plan for what his "Lego" cake would look like.  I felt bad, because it sounded like an amazing idea, but it was THE NIGHT BEFORE.  The poor little guy, he knows what I'm capable of when it comes to cakes, as the below B.O.B. cake (from Monsters vs. Aliens) was what I made for him a couple of years ago.  But, that cake took me 3 days and a whole lot of cuss words.  In fact, I've not made a fun cake since (it did me in). . .

He settled for his next idea.  He wanted me to buy this Star Wars snow machine set, and wanted the cake to look like snow.  His big sister put it together for him and we stuck it on top. . .
I didn't plan to post ALL fails this week, but hey, I guess we'll get them all out of the way!

1 comment:

cre8ivesky said...

Wow, you are a good Momma! I'd likely have told my little guy that it was simply too late to change his mind! Your cake turned out great and WOW- the monster cake is amazing! I tried using Dollar Tree candlesticks and some BH&G plates from Walmart to build a cupcake stand not long ago and it failed too... However, I used hot glue in a rush the night before and just crossed my fingers it would last! Still have all the pieces waiting to be put together for real... As always, I sure enjoy your blog! Hope you have a nice week :)