Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake

My sister-in-law's birthday was on Mother's Day.  When I found out she was planning to make her own birthday cake I made her email me the recipe so that I could make it for her!  Making your own birthday cake is against so many rules of having a birthday. 

She is a BIG chocolate lover!  So, it surprised me to find out that her favorite cake is this lemon poppy seed cake.  She originally found the recipe in a very old church recipe book.  I'm a BIG lemon lover and was excited to try out a new recipe. 

LEMON POPPY SEED BUNDT CAKE

3 Cups Flour
2 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 Cups Milk
1 1/2 Cups Oil
1 1/2 TB Poppy Seeds
3 Eggs
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 tsp Lemon Extract

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour a bundt pan (I like to add a good amount of sugar to my flour to make the edges sweet and crispy).  Pour batter into pan.  Bake for 1 hour.  Remove from oven, run knife around edges.  Let cool for a bit before turning out onto platter.

LEMON GLAZE

1-2 Cups powdered sugar, 2 Tbsp butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla, lemon zest, bit of milk to get the right consistency.  I even squeeze a bit of the lemon into the frosting.  Mix and drizzle onto cake.


I used my Dollar Tree cake stand made out of a dollar glass plate glued to a dollar candle stick - using E-600.  I should give credit for this idea, I've seen it all over blog land, but most recently over at 
A Love to Create with Trina.  She has so many great ideas!

This cake turns out super moist and SO YUMMY!  I would love to make it using almond extract in the place of lemon.  I think I love almond just as much as I love my lemon :O) . . .

Speaking of cake, remember how I posted my Cake's in a Jar the other day?  Well, somehow that post was deleted by Blogger.  I'll have to repost those again soon. . .
For a complete list of parties I link to click HERE!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Mmmm, I love lemon cake! Can't wait to try the recipe! Also those cakes in a jar look adorable, I'd like to see the post on those.