Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thrift Store Chandelier Adds Whimsical Charm


What do you think I love most about this chandelier?  It's beautiful swirly lines?  It's whimsical charm?  The bright white paint?  The candelabra bulbs? 

While those things are wonderful, they're not what I love most.  What I love most when I look at it, is the fact that - in passing - a couple of week ago I mentioned to Chuck that I would like to find an old chandelier to fix up for the 3 year olds room....and unbeknownst (is that word? spell check doesn't think so) to me he proceeded to stop by the DI (local thrift store) every.  single.  day.  until he found the perfect chandelier that matched my description.  Then, brought it home and surprised me with it! . . .

I had to wait through a week of snow storms before I could get it primed and painted.  I covered the electrical parts with press 'n seal.  I read that it's a good idea to put it in a box to spray paint it so that all of the little paint particles get chance to land on the fixture.  I didn't have a big enough box on hand so Chuck hung it from the tree, and that worked out great! . . .

The next lovely surprise was when I got home last night from a church meeting and he had shortened the chain and had it all installed :O).  I made the material cover for the chain this morning. . .

I wish I was better at taking pictures so that you could really see how beautifully it lights up her room.  It just makes the whole room glow.  I couldn't be happier with it.  Mostly I'm just so in love with that guy.  What a romantic. . .

For a full list of parties I link to click HERE!


9 comments:

Lyssa Beth said...

So cute! I love how your husband did that. what a guy!
That is so rare to find that kind of chandelier at a thrift store!

Megan said...

Cool idea!

Unknown said...

Darn it, I was just at Habitat for Humanity and they had a chandelier just like this one. I didn't think it would be very cute spray painted and decided to try to find one with crystals on it, I guess you proved me wrong. It is adorable.

Janet said...

This is so cute!!!

www.iheartmygluegun.com

Unknown said...

I'm moving into a house in a few weeks with ugly light fixtures this gives me hope I can find some fixtures to fix up at a thrift store! I am a brand new follower. I found your blog through your link up on WhipperBerry.

www.theelephantstrunk42.blogspot.com

Ruth H. said...

This looks soooo good, Aly! I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for old brass chandeliers, now. I've spray painted a lamp, before, so I know I can do it. Love the way yours turned out!

heather {WhipperBerry} said...

gotta love those thrift store finds.

kisses
heather

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

That white really makes a difference!

Thanks for sharing this at Creative Juice! Hope to see you back at the party tonight!

Life Without Whiteout said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I have been waiting to see how this Chand-y would look. couldn't picture it.. I linked it on my blog....Great Job!