Friday, April 8, 2011

Almond Gooey Bars - Tutorial


Almond Gooey Bars - a family favorite!
Years ago my mom came across this recipe in The Cake Mix Doctor cook book.  It's been a family favorite ever since.  My kids have even been known to request these in place of a birthday cake! 

The recipe I have on hand is a handwritten one that my momma copied down for me. 

Almond Gooey Bars

Crust
1 yellow cake mix
1 stick butter melted
1 large egg
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 tsp almond extract

Filling
8 oz cream cheese (room temp)
2 large eggs
1 tsp almond extract
1 stick butter melted
3 3/4 powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix the crust ingredients for 2 minutes (with electric mixer) until smooth...
Pat evenly in the bottom of a 9 x 13 and set aside.  I like to use a miniature rolling pin...
Then, beat cream cheese until fluffy...
Then add eggs, extract, and butter.  Beat 1 minute.  Next add the powdered sugar and beat for 1 more minute...
Until it becomes a nice whipped taffy texture...
Poor the filling over the crust...
Smooth it out, and put it in the oven @ 350 degrees for 45-47 minutes...
When it's done the top will be brown and very crispy.  You will be tempted to remove a small square and eat it right away - I highly recommend that :O).  But for the rest of the pan I would suggest letting it cool completely before cutting your squares, as to avoid them all falling apart...
Enjoy!

Click HERE for a full list of parties I've linked to!

5 comments:

Ruth H. said...

These look really, really, really gooood. Like, so good I'm on my way to get almonds right now! I love stuff with almond flavoring in it. Thanks for sharing!

Suzie said...

I'm sold.

I'm featuring these on my blog today.

www.imlovinyourblog.blogspot.com

Jami said...

Oh my gosh! These look absolutely scrumptious! :D thanks for sharing

Jayma Malme said...

This looks so yummy! I don't do a lot of baking because I'm gluten-free and don't like dealing with mixing different flours, but betty crocker now has gf mixes, and one is yellow cake mix :) Can't wait to try this!

Erin said...

My son and I are looking at this and it's only 7am. We have decided that we need this for breakfast! Looks absolutely yummy!!!