Sunday, March 20, 2011

Kid Project Fail....Or Not??

We took a trip to the DI (local thrift store) the other evening.  The whole fam damily.  The kids had never been and thought it was AMAZING!  LOL!  I told them they couldn't buy any toys (since we saw a handful on display that we'd donated there).  The 3 year old found her way to the far corner and set up a town of 3 Barbie houses, a car, and a horse...it took me a solid 30 minutes to coax her away....who needs McDonald's playland anyway???  My 10 year old is getting quite the kick out of all of this crafting going on.  She picked out the above item for 75 cents with intentions of fixing it up for her own room.  It was filthy and - you can't see it in that picture - but it had globs of paint all down each side that needed to be sanded off.  She got to work this afternoon and sanded, primed, and painted.  She removed the metal piece and I threw it in the dishwasher.  She brought in her block tonight and was crushed when she pulled the metal out of the dishwasher and it was completely covered in RUST!  "You RUINED it MOM!!!"

We put it together anyway.  Dad walked passed and - without knowing the drama - exclaimed, "WOW!  I love it!"....
It may not be what she pictured for her bedroom, but I think it looks great on my mantel :O)...
So, what do you think...trash or treasure?

Speaking of finding AMAZING things at the thrift stores - have I got some fun posts coming up soon with all the junk I found to fix up!  SO FUN!!


For a full list of parties I link to click HERE!

3 comments:

Boden said...

Awww, I'm sad for your daughter, that it didn't turn out the way she wanted it too...I know that feeling! But I'd have to side with your husband on this one, it looks so great with the rust, very cool!

Maren said...

It turned out great, the rust gives it amazing character. I hope she learns to love it.

Trina said...

I absolutely love it! It turned out so awesome! You are amazing!